Families are the first line of support for Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) . Providing direct support to children rather than empowering their families to provide for the AGYW’s needs can undermine family relationships and capacity to care for children over the long term.
Parenting and caregiver services are delivered by way of the SINOVUYO approach.
SINOVUYO (Parenting and care giver programs) approach
This is a I4 weeks parenting and caregiver program. Here, joint and/or weekly sessions are conducted for the Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) and their caregivers. These sessions address different topics as highlighted below:
- Program introduction and setting ground rules
- Spending special time together
- Talking about emotions
- What do we do when we are angry?
- Problem solving
- Motivation to save and making a budget with our money
- Dealing with problems without conflicts I
- Dealing with problems without conflicts II
- Establishing rules and routines
- Way to save money and making a family saving plan
- Keeping safe in the community
- Responding to crisis
- Widening the circle of support
Sessions details are contained in the trainer’s manual.